Kai and the Lights: a musiconnects holiday benefit concert!
For the first time, musiConnects is presenting a special family-friendly concert to ring in the holiday season! Join us on December 7th for to...
* Experience Kai and the Lights, an original story by acclaimed poet Ashley-Rose, musically illustrated with a live soundtrack by our team of Resident Musicians...
* Participate in holiday crafts + delicious cookie decorating
* Win prizes in our raffle!
$20 per adult, $5 per child; free admission for children under 5
Saturday, December 7th | 11:00am
St. John's Episcopal Church
1 Roanoke Ave, Jamaica Plain
A Big Thank you to The sponsors of our Holiday Concert!
Who we are & where we're going: Welcome to our 13th season
Dear musiConnects supporters and friends,
It is my absolute pleasure to be writing to you in our 13th year! As the founder of musiConnects, I couldn’t be more proud of what the organization has become, and where we are headed.
With Executive Director Nancy Galluzzo, our dedicated board and newly formed committees at the helm, our staff of Resident Musicians are firing on all cylinders - preparing for a new Mattapan based concert series featuring living composers of color, and working tirelessly with phenomenal students at each of our five sites.
In reviewing our past, present and future, our talented team of dedicated musicians were asked to share their thoughts and dreams about musiConnects. I hope you enjoy reading our words and visions below and are moved to support our work!
At musiConnects, we are:
• A community comprised of students, musicians and families, who are all dedicated to the well-being of the whole.
• Pioneering a unique Chamber Music Model - a sandbox for collaborative musical play - in our own neighborhoods where we, our families and our audiences work and live.
• Fully committed to Mattapan, an often under-resourced neighborhood, by teaching and mentoring youth and programming student and faculty performances by underrepresented composers.
• An organization that fuses all of our Resident Musicians’ interests - performing and teaching in this community setting in a way that feels authentic.
• A group of students and Resident Musicians all contributing to an exciting on-going musical conversation.
At musiConnects, we love:
• Seeing families dance together at our annual Family Fiddle Food Fest! Now in its 8th year!
• Witnessing a student overcome her doubt between private lessons, going from “It’s too hard, I can’t do it” to using her bow with confidence.
• Having a workplace that feels like part of the fabric of the city — hearing the sounds of the square, with the train passing across the street. It feels like home.
• Teaching musiConnects students who have really fallen in love with their instrument. Their excitement for lessons and their sense of discovery gives us great joy and motivation.
• Our student recitals. They have such a celebratory atmosphere, and it’s clear that every student has made a lot of progress over the course of the year. The audience is full of families and friends, who cheer for each and every student making it feel like a true community event.
In year 20 - with YOUR help - we will:
• Have the capacity to serve an expanded student body of all ages - students for whom music is a joy - and to have the ability to deepen our relationships by interacting with these students more often.
• Support our Resident Musicians with full time positions at a living wage.
• Live in our own accessible space in Mattapan Square which will feel like a home for our musicians and students alike, and will serve as a public space with access to multiple community services.
• Build a strong cohort of high school students who model their love of music and their devotion to learning and practice for our younger students. These young mentors will nurture students’ own musical creations and ideas.
• Engage with inspired alumni coming back to work with us and sharing their stories.
• Dedicate more time with students to expand their musical worlds beyond musiConnects.
• Forge even more fruitful and meaningful partnerships with organizations and individuals in our community.
When I began this journey 13 years ago, donors like you believed in my vision. Since that time, hundreds of youth from Mattapan and the surrounding area have received transformative music instruction and mentoring. With your support, we can intensify our impact in an often overlooked community. Please join us in making our dreams a reality!